*BRAINSTORMING ASSIGNMENT FOR WEEK 4: *
*MDQ STEP ONE: DECISION STATEMENT*
In week 4, *Pacific Palm Oil Company (PPO)* and the production plantation manager (You) will begin the process of making a decision, using the MDQ decision making model. The purpose of Week 4’s Brainstorming Discussions is to discuss step one of the MDQ model, possible decision statements you come up with to be discredited through brainstorming, validate and support the correct decision statement for the Project, and to become familiar with PPO’s complex decision using the model.
FOLLOW the directions step by step.
1. By* TUESDAY*, complete the following:
– Discuss the *triggers* or opportunity pushing PPO to make a decision. – Identify the *goal* the production plantation manager wants the decision to achieve for PPO. (Later on in the model, PPO will create specific objectives it wishes to accomplish in the final decision) – Create at least *TWO possible decision statements *for PPO. The course material explains that the more accurate PPO is in defining the decision statement, the happier the company will be with the final choice they make. Why is this so? Because the alternatives, objectives and people concerned in the scenario are more likely to be considered in the decision alternative that is chosen. If the decision statement is unclear, the less likely the alternatives, objectives, and people will be considered in the decision choice, which means the greater probability that PPO will not be satisfied with the final chosen alternative. – Examine the following decision statement, which is the one you will be using for the MDQ model and case study:
* In responding to CAPO’s attacks, how will PPO keep their customers and continue to make money?*
– Discuss the validity of this decision statement. Why is this the correct decision statement for PPO? Why are the other possible decision statements you initially came up with incorrect? Defend and support your discussion. Your logic and argument must be clear and based on the MDQ model as well as the case study facts. If it is not supportable from the facts, it is not considered logical.
2. *THROUGHOUT* the week, complete the following:
Once you have completed your initial post(#1), read those of your classmates and give them constructive feedback as to whether they have clearly defined the decision statement as delineated in the class materials. Be sure that the feedback is constructive and that you are actually brainstorming with them to come up with valid arguments on why the final decision statement (the one that was provided to you) is the best one for PPO. Your job is to argue the logic presented in the content and support (facts from case study or citations) provided in the posts.
3. N*o later than Sunday* 11:59 PM Eastern Time.
In one last post *attach *a final response for Step One: Decision Statement. Incorporate #1 and #2 in your final response. This will be considered the brainstorming discussion assignment portion (7.5%) of the ten point grade for the week. It must be an attachment and not an actual post.
*Chapter 1 DQ* <create.usc.edu/sites/default/files/publications/m01howa624601sec01.pdf>
*Dr. Judd on the Decision Quality Model *
*Application of the MDQ Model: **Example: Which House Do We Purchase?*
*Applying the Process for Making Decisions* <www.universalclass.com/articles/business/applying-the-process-for-making-decisions.htm>