Boeing 737 Max case – This plane dealt with issues in its Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS), which resulted in two accidents – Lion Air Flight and Ethiopian Airlines Flight. This led to the suspension/termination of the 737 internationally for some time (research for specific dates). There was conspiracy that these accidents were cover ups. As a result, Boeing had to pay up huge sums of settlement money for their accidents, affecting their company value.
Instructions/Requirements: – Boeing 737 Max Case
The target of this paper is to explain what exactly happened with this Boeing case and the ethics/unethics about it. Stick to either one side or both depending if the case information is relevant enough. Write about ethical scandals. What were the organizational defects that caused these scandals?
- Structure (APA Format, 5-10 pages, NOT including the title and reference pages):
- Title Page
- Introduction/Thesis (1-3 paragraphs): Present well-sourced thesis/proposition – what is being proved and how will these goals be achieved?
- Main Body: Present facts, explain points and opinions. Includes citations to legitimate sources (APA format)
- Conclusion: Summarize facts/arguments/opinions
- Reference Page: List all sources (APA format)
Boeing 737 Max Case – Ethical Frameworks
CO2. Explain how ethical frameworks shape business decisions.
Select and research ONE of the following companies that has been in the news for an ethical dilemma. Prepare a PowerPoint about this company’s ethical dilemma and resulting ethical failure, according to the following instructions. Sources are provided to assist you getting started (click company name link). You will need to further research the company as well as applicable ethical frameworks and related law in your text and required readings.
NOTE: In preparing this project, refer to your Week 1 Lesson Readings and Resources on ethical frameworks.
CHOOSE ONE OF THESE COMPANIES/ISSUES: The Links are a factual starting point for your information and further research.
1. Boeing – 737 MAX-8 Jet death crashes.
2. Purdue Pharma – opioid crisis, deceptive marketing. https://www.proquest.com/docview/2045906919?pq-origsite=primo&accountid=8289
The following resources will also assist your PowerPoint.
- What is Ethical Dilemma?
- Checklist of guidelines when you face ethical dilemmas
- Guidelines to Prepare an APA PowerPoint
- How to Add Speaker Notes in PowerPoint
Assignment Instructions: – Boeing 737 Max Case or Purdue Pharma Opioid Crisis
- Create a 12– 15 slide PowerPoint presentation that includes:
- Title slide with your name, course, date, school, title of presentation;
- Agenda slide – This lists the key points covered in the PPT;
- Content slides containing bullet points information with illustrations, diagrams, pictures, graphics etc., as appropriate to the slide’s content;
- Speaker’s notes on each slide – either text presented in the Speaker Notes section at the bottom of the slides or Audio through your Voice speaking (or both); (Note: Speaker’s Notes are not duplication of the text on the slides. They are explanatory narrative.)
- Identify the company you selected;
- explain the company and its industry;
- provide the factual background of the problem; and
- clearly state the ethical dilemma presented by the situation. There should be only ONE ethical dilemma. The company had two choices: the act it chose and an alternative it did not do.
3. Identify and define at least one ethical framework that the company apparently employed in making its decision. Note — Not “Should have used.” It is not acceptable to say it did not act ethically or did not use a framework. Analyze it. Frameworks include utilitarianism, free market ethics, deontology, virtue ethics , etc., covered in your course readings.
4. Then, identify and define at least one ethical framework that the company should have used when the problem arose, and explain how to apply it for them to have reached a better result than what actually happened. Be clear.
5. Identify and explain measures the company should implement to avoid this type of problem in the future.
6. Within your discussion include whether the company had a code of ethics or policy that seemed to apply to the situation, and if so, what went wrong with that?
7. Explain what business leadership in any company can learn from this situation.
8. Have a conclusion that wraps up the key points.
9. Include a Reference slide with at least seven (7) credible sources listed in APA format. (NOTE: Sources must be cited in slides and speaker’s notes for direct quotes, specific facts and graphics, same as in a paper, per APA format. If you are doing audio speaker notes, you would mention the source in your speaking narrative.) (Reminder; we are using APA 7th Ed. format.)
10. Your PPT should have a professional slide background and graphics on each slide. (See rubric)
11. Submit your presentation here in the Assignments section, as a PowerPoint attachment.
12. Please compress your PPT (zip file) if necessary for uploading. There are several sources online to help you with compressing a PowerPoint presentation.
A Guidelines sheet for preparing this PowerPoint is attached to this Assignment.
Please refer to the grading rubric for this assignment prior to submitting your work. The Rubric must be considered as part of the Instructions for this Assignment.