MLT 2402 Microbiology I
Gram Positive Cocci
By the end of this laboratory session, the student shall be able to:
- Describe the colony and microscopic morphologies of various gram positive cocci
- Perform available biochemical tests on various gram positive cocci
- Follow all safety precautions that should be observed when working with the chemical and biological substances used in this laboratory experience
GRAM POSITIVE COCCI
- Observe and examine the colonial morphology of the following known cultures on each of the inoculated media:
- S. aureus
- S. epidermidis
- S. saprophyticus
- Micrococcus spp.
- S. lugdunensis
- Prepare smears of each culture and use Gram stain.
- Examine smears.
- Perform the following biochemical tests:
- Coagulase (Report results on the method used)
- PYR on S. lugdunensis
- Determine susceptibility of S. epidermidis and S. saprophyticus to novobiocin disk.
- Record all results on the laboratory worksheets.
**BE IT NOTED THAT TEST AND MICROORGANISM AVAILABILITY MAY CHANGE.
Note: Due to Covid-19, this exercise will be completed virtually through the use of Google and any other websites listed in the course.